Monday, July 3, 2017

Why I am a Preterist

Why have I turned to accept the preterist view?

I do tend to question things, a lot, always have. My desire to have things proved out, causes me to be cynical about ideas that are new to me.

As I wrote before, I have considered many different eschatological views over my 45 years in the Lord. I have studied them out, read many books, listened to countless hours of teaching, lectures, tapes, cds, dvds. And have come to the preterist view, about 20 years ago.

What started me considering this view. All the other views I have held and considered were futurist, only real difference was when the rapture was supposed to happen. Why look back instead of forward? 


Let me say this at the beginning. I am not dogmatic in my present view. At this point in my journey in Christ I am convinced of the truth of this view. As I presently understand the scriptures, this view best fits eschatological statements. But I am willing to have my thoughts changed, by further understanding in truth. That is part of life in Christ to me, learning and growing in the knowledge of truth.

Because of the Historic Fact of the Destruction of the Temple in 70AD

It started for me with learning the historic fact of the destruction of Herod's temple in 70AD. A very pivotal and foundational point in understanding the view of fulfilled eschatology. Considering that Jesus was referring to that event, then in the future, when he gave the teaching in that garden on the mount of Olives to his disciples, started me seeing how all of eschatology was about events that were to be fulfilled in the time period of his disciple's lives. At least some of them would live through these sign events.

Because eschatology is about the Messianic Kingdom and not the Rapture

Eschatology is about:
-Judgment upon rebellious Israel, who broke God's covenant by not keeping the law, and killing the Messiah of God.
-establishment of a new order, a new kingdom.
-bringing to an end the age under the Mosaic covenant, and beginning the age of the Messianic covenant, as Jesus said, the covenant in my blood.
-putting to an end the rule of the law, which was a part of the Mosaic covenant, and establishing the rule of love, as the commandment of the Messiah.
-bringing an end to the shadows of truth, in the temple, furnishings, priesthood, and the sacrifices, and establishing the truth of grace, mercy and love in the Messiah

Considering the statements of eschatology in the truth of the destruction of the temple, showed me that Jesus spoke the truth when he told his disciples that their generation would see all the signs, the events that he told them about on the mount of Olives.

Because Jesus and the NT writers did not lie

I had read some futurists teachers say that Jesus and his disciples were all confused, or were hopefully wishing that the end would come in their day, but they were all wrong. Yet in considering the historic truth of the temple being destroyed, I saw that these teachers were lying, trying to prop up their failed and lying doctrines, by suggesting that Jesus lied in some way. Really, the one who said, "I am the truth, the life, the way"...was lying?

Jesus told his disciples that they, their generation would see his return, the end of that age, and the destruction of the temple. Jesus was not lying. He did not give them a date, he gave them signs of how things would build up, events that would happen leading up to the culmination. No day, no hour given, but as you know when a new season starts, they would know when it was in the process of happening.

Because Jesus proclaimed the judgment wrath on that faithless generation of Israelites.

Reading through the gospels I have come to understand all the parables speaking of the wrath to come, the judgment to come, being cast into the fires, were all referring to the judgment of God upon Israel, his pouring out his wrath upon that generation of rebellious Israelites. The same generation who would kill the Messiah of God. The very Messiah they were claiming to be waiting for, they handed over to heathen Rome to be put to death upon the cross.

When Jesus said it was finished, he meant that they cup was full, the time had come for the end. The old covenant kingdom was finished at that point. The new covenant kingdom was in its final forming steps.

Because that generation of Israelis who pierced Messiah had to be judged.

It was that generation of Israel that pierced the Messiah. None before, and no one after did the deed. There is no justice imaginable to think that any generation future from that one was guilty of this high crime of rebellion to God and treason to their rightful King and Messiah.

No Jew living today, or since that generation are guilty of this great sin. None of the atrocities committed against Jews since, for the reason of them being Christ killers has been the least bit just or Godly. And neither would it be just of God to kill this generation of Jews living today or a yet future one in the name of judgment upon those who pierced the Messiah.

No comments:

Post a Comment